January is National Bath Safety Month. At home, the highest rate for injuries to seniors “in or around the tub or shower”, so we’d like to share with you some reminders of how to stay comfortable and safe at bath time. Here are some important bath tips for seniors:
- Add grab bars that are easy to see on the side of the bathtub and near the toilet.
- Keep towels and other trip hazards off the bathroom floor.
- Use nonslip mats and strips in the tub.
- Utilize nonslip rugs or add double-sided tape to keep rugs secure.
- Make sure that the bathroom and hallways have bright lighting.
- While hot baths are beneficial overall, soaking in a hot water bath raises a person’s heart rate. For those individuals with cardiovascular concerns, it is best to check with their doctor about using a hot soak for health benefits.
While these tips are important to help ensure safe bathing, they should not scare people off of hot baths, which can have many beneficial effects for seniors. They can provide stress relief and tranquility, and offer many other positive outcomes. Here are some of the benefits of following our bath tips for seniors:
- Baths can lower blood sugar even more effective than exercise.
- They can soothe aching muscles and joints, providing an anti-inflammatory benefit.
- Hot baths lower blood pressure and improve circulation.
- Adding bubbles, oatmeal, or essential oils can improve skin health, especially for eczema sufferers.
We hope all these tips help make bath-time enjoyable for seniors. Let us know any other benefits or suggestions you come across!